Entries are made using PhotoEntry (see below). Please ensure that entries are submitted on time and in the correct format. If you have problems, please contact the competitions secretary: [email protected] well before the competition deadline.
Entries should be submitted to the PhotoEntry System by 21:00hrs on the Friday before the competition.
27th September 2022 – “Red”
PDIs and Prints judged by Mary Woolams of Marlow Arts & Crafts Society
Brief: The principle colour in your entries should be RED, other colours are also allowed as long as the main colour is red.
25th October 2022 – “Open”
PDIs and Prints judged by Michael Lurie
15th November 2022 – “Abstract”
PDIs and Prints judged by Cat Humphries
13th December 2022 – Chair’s Challenge
Brief: The topic or theme will be announced in due course.
3rd January 2022 – Portfolio Competition
PDIs and Prints to be judges by Vicki Baptiste
Brief: Open. Three PDI or Print images on a common theme.
17th January 2023 – Mobile Phone Competition
PDIs only, judged by Micki Aston.
Brief: Entries should be taken using a mobile phone, processing can be either in phone or on a PC.
14th February 2023 – Animals
PDIs and Prints to be judged by Amanda Wright
Brief: Entries can be any type of creature, Animal, Insect, Bird, Fish, They can be pets, wild, farm, or zoo creatures.
14th March 2023 – Three Cups Competition
- Teuchter Trophy for “Best Colour Print”
- Jubilee Trophy for “Best Mono Print”
- Anne Walker Award for “Best Macro Print”
This will be judged by Kathy Chantler
11th April 2023 – Campbell Cup
Campbell Cup is awarded for Best Print or PDI of the Annual Natural World competition, judged by Rojer Weightman
9th May 2023 – Byte Trophy
Byte Trophy is awarded for the best PDI, judged by Chris Sergeant. Chris will be judging remotely via Zoom
6th June 2023 – Joe Green Cup
Joe Green Cup is awarded for the best Print, judged by Martin Patten
- You must enter your images using PhotoEntry, which is a web-based tool for managing your competition entries.
- You will need to log in using your User ID and password.
- If you forgot your password there is a link to reset it on the left side of the log in screen. If you don’t get the reset email, check your spam/junk folder.
- From the Main Menu select the Competition Group. This will be e.g. the competitions for a particular season.
- Select the Competition. You can only submit/change/delete entries when the Competition is open to accept entries.
- Check the number of entries that you are allowed for this competition. It is shown as “Entries Allowed” on the entry screen. The number of entries varies by competition.
- Export your images as JPGs. Pay particular attention to the image dimensions, and the colour space. It doesn’t matter what the filenames are. You cannot upload a JPG that is larger than 10MB.
- Click on Add Entry.
- Supply a Title and select the publishing options and click Save.
- The title may be up to 50 characters long
- The title can only include alphanumerics and the characters ,.!’-%()$£
- Upload the correct number of images. This will normally be one per entry, but could be higher (e.g. for a portfolio competition).
- Once the messages for the Entry are green, your entry is accepted. You may still have a warning about image dimensions (see below).
- Add further entries if you want to and have not already reached the limit. The “Add Entry” button will only be visible when the Competition is Open and you are allowed more entries.
- Digital images must be uploaded using PhotoEntry before the competition deadline.
- They must be in JPG format with a .JPG file name extension.
- For proper colour reproduction they should be saved in sRGB colour format.
- The size should not exceed 1400px in the horizontal and 1050px in the vertical.
- Larger images will be automatically resized by PhotoEntry but the quality may not be as good as if you resize and sharpen in your software.
- Smaller images will not be enlarged. They will be projected at their original size.
- Maximum filesize is 10M.
- To enter a print, you must upload a PDI version of the print using PhotoEntry with the correct title.
- You must bring the print along on the evening of the competition and collect it afterwards.
- Prints must be appropriately mounted for display on a stiff material.
- There must be no glass or plastic covering the image.
- Maximum overall size (including mount) is 500mm x 400mm for Landscape orientation or 400mm x 500mm for Portrait orientation
- Minimum overall size is 175 mm x 125 mm
- The rear of the print must be marked with your name and the Title of the print.
When a competition is held, the judge is briefed by the competition secretary on what to expect and what is required. For example, an “Open” competition the brief sent to the judge will be:
Marlow Camera Club have recently changed how we’re doing competitions and are trying something new (to us) this season: we are removing the requirement to score every image and asking the judge to focus on the commentary rather than the scoring. (Hopefully this makes your job easier!) We are asking for images to be placed 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Highly commended, and commended. The club hopes that this will encourage more creative entries and more work from beginners.
What we’re asking is:
- Please comment on each image in turn, as you see fit, but…
- …Bear in mind images are from a mix of ability and experience, so please tailor commentary appropriately.
- Please prioritise comments on originality/creative/artistic elements.
- We need 1st-2nd-3rd-Highly Commended and Commended for both PDIs and Prints.
- Ideally one image each in 1/2/3 and a number of Highly Commended and Commended
- Joint 1st/2nd/3rd is fine, if needed.
If there is a theme to the competition, the judge is given the same information as was given to the members as to the nature of the theme and what the intent is. See the above section “Competitions this season” for information on this.